Friday, March 16, 2007

Ode To A Beer Glass

I broke my favorite beer glass. It was beautiful: so thin you could barely feel it, with a short stem, and just the right size to hold a half-liter (if I poured it properly). I only had one like this, too. So, I guess it's time to go glass shopping. And I like shopping for glassware - believe me - but this will be kind of like getting a new puppy. Sure, we all like visiting the puppy farm, but the new one just never seems to quite replace the one we loved and lost.

So, tonight I raise a toast:

Oh, beer glass, oh beer glass,
How I shall miss your gentle presence.
The way you held my beer for me,
Singing your song of subtle resonance.

You never once have failed me,
Holding stout, wheat beer, or bitter,
Though many cans have come and gone,
In summer, fall, and winter.

You captured scents and gave me hints,
Of the brewer's secret art.
You cast the light of amber grace,
Capturing my joyful heart.

And so I shall remember you,
With eyes so slightly teary.
May you rest forever, friend,
Chilled and foamed and beery.

*sniff*

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*sniff* that's just beautiful

Darryl said...

Thanks, man. I have a heavy heart, but I'll make it.