Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I'm Ready For My Close-Up

I was talking with Science Nathan on the train ride back from Milan about an idea for a film. He started talking about what the real environment at CERN is like, in contrast to the Dan Brown-ish view that most people have of it. And I thought, wouldn't it be fun to show that like a wild-life documentary?

It remains to be seen if it will work. I'd love to work on the script, but am a little short in knowing the intricacies of what makes the world of physicists spin, so Nathan needs to be the man for that. And it may be a little tough for me to get into CERN to get any video footage to use. Nathan is there, but it's not entirely clear how free he would be to shoot or, perhaps more to the point, edit the material into a rather non-discovery-channel-ish kind of thing. I mean, as a rule of thumb, it's a good idea not to piss off people who know how to make nuclear kinds of things.

So it got me thinking... what other "species" would be a good subject for a fake documentary film?

Already done:
  • Rock musicians (Spinal Tap)
  • Dog lovers (Best In Show)
  • Amateur theatre people (Waiting For Guffman)
  • Karaoke singers (Reverb, a flim in which I invested and, sadly, have yet to see)
  • Porta-potty attendants (Ralph? I can't remember the nane, but it's Australian and it's fun)
  • Cops (Super-Troopers)
  • Conservatives (anything by Michael Moore)

Probably wouldn't work:
  • French farmers/Italian rail workers (would probably lead to an indefinitely extended strike bring Europe to the point of economic collapse)
  • Islamic fundamentalists (can you say "get a sense of humor, boys"?)
  • Rap musicians (how do you parody something that's already so.... well, a parody?)
  • Authors (the film would be okay, but the book would be WAY better)

So, that leads me to the final, and most important list - begging to be done:
  • Physicists (come on, Nathan - what's the worst that could happen, other than to your career?)
  • Airport security agents
  • Guys who sell consumer electronics, especially car stereos
  • Comic-book collectors
  • Soccer players (for some reason, I think the Italian ones would offer the greatest possibilities for crafting a compelling story)

Any other suggestions? Who wants to join me in Cannes next year?

6 comments:

Heather said...

How about documentary filmmakers? I think that could be a real gold mine. Either way, if you want to be a big hit in Cannes just make sure it's really anti-American and I think you'll be good.

Darryl said...

Heather, I think I can see where you're going with this, and, while I do find it flattering, I'm not sure the movie-going public is ready for a documentary about me yet. Don't think I haven't considered it; I'm just not sure it's time. Thanks, though.

For Cannes, I think there are two routes to go:

Steak - hard-hitting content, controversial themes, dynamic editing, exotic locations and staggering cinematography.

Sizzle - showing up with Ann Coulter on one arm, Pamela Anderson on the other, Will Farrell going ahead in full "Elf" regalia spreading a carpet of fresh artichoke leaves and Alf brining up the rear just to give some hope to less-than-intelligent journalists looking for a good play on words. Dressed, of course, by Alexander McQueen.

Frankly, "steak" just seems like a lot of work. So I'm going to go the "sizzle" route this year and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

troyhead said...

Don't forget "The Delicate Art of Parking", which features those pesky guys that give you parking tickets.

And about Reverb, you're not missing much. It could have been better with some editing, but there are too many inside jokes that just aren't funny. (sorry if any of you who made it read this)

Darryl said...

I've never heard of that one! Does it have a happy ending (ie, do they all die in the end)?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're gonna be sorry Jackass!

Darryl said...

For those fearing for my safety, I just want to reassure you: Nicole's hostility is directed towards Troy. For those fearing for his safety... well, I'm sorry.