Saturday, March 3, 2007

Drummer Face

No, I'm not going to post a picture. But some of you have seen it. And, if you haven't, if you show up when the MNB finally ends up playing (we're hoping for May), you will most certainly see it. It's drummer face.

It looks a little like I'm constipated (but happy, as we determined in practice today), but it means that we are rocking. It means I am ready to pound my drums into the ground and hit you with a wall of sound that will snap your head back like student driver in an F18. It means you better look out.

I get it pretty frequently when I'm playing, because, at least some of the time, it rocks. But I also get it when I'm watching a band. Or listening. So if you see me walking down the street and I appear to be in trouble of some sort, it's probably just a monster groove going on in my earbuds.

And here's something I love: Andy gets it, too.

What makes that unique is that Andy is not a drummer. He's a bass player, which is almost like a drummer but they don't use their feet at all, and they rely on amplifiers to be heard. Anyways, when Andy is laying down a deep, nasty groove, he gets a look on his face that says, "if you even try to stop this I will crush you like a little Ukrainian easter egg that wasn't allowed to dry properly and had all the ink run until it wasn't suitable for display or resale." He's one of the nicest guys you could hope to know, but if you see Andy when he's laying down a beat you would think he may be getting ready to kill you.

Anyways, today it happened a couple of times, but the best, for me, was on another Keane song: Somewhere Only We Know. It was cool to hear Kristy taking over and hammering it out on the piano (most of the rocking songs we play are guitar-driven). But that song just soars... wide open chords ringing out, funky kick drum hammering down some triplets and the snare ripping your face off on 2 and 4. It's beautiful. I love it, and I can't wait to perform it. Can't wait!

No comments: