Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Lunch

I had the best lunch today that I've had for a while. Grabbed an apple and wandered the mean streets of downtown Geneva (you've got to watch it on Rue du Rhone... the blood feud between the Valentinos and the Guccis is more furious than ever after the recent NY Fashion Week shows). I took a couple pictures I like. And I listened to Blue Rodeo, a wonderful roots-rock/country/folk band that you know if you're from Canada, and should know no matter where you're from.

Hasn't Hit Me Yet (from Five Days In July) - I tend to prefer songs where Jim (Cuddy) is singing... Greg (Keelor) has a voice that suits most of his songs well, but it's not what you would usually describe as pleasant. He puts so much feeling into this one, though, that it's tough not to love it. It's a sad song, but a good sad song.

Head Over Heels (from Five Days In July) - somehow, the 50's piano thing in the bridge that I would expect to kill this song just adds to it. There's a wonderful acoustic guitar picking part offsetting the piano in the verses, and the vocals have some moments of brilliance... "watching the rain through a crack in the window, it's the little things that get you through - like the same sun rising on me as rising over you". Nice.

Rain Down On Me (from Lost Together) - okay, this one is really, really terrible for walking, but what a song. The drums are simple and clean, especially at the beginning of the verses, bass just gliding along with the kick. The piano is putting down some light arpegios and chords in the background, with the classic acoustic guitar driving it all along. And then there's Greg's guitar answering the vocals... gutsy, gritty, just tight enough but just sloppy enough. It's amazingly, achingly, drummer-face-makingly good. And then when the instruments drop out and Jim hits that line: "I used to think I knew what I was waiting (fighting) for... I don't think that anymore". Man... walking pace or not... give me this song, a pair of shades, some comfortable shoes and I could go for days.

Then I fast-forwarded a few to get to Fallen From Grace (from Tremelo). This, unlike Rain Down On Me, would be a fantastic song for walking even if it wasn't a fantastic song. That guitar is just so funky, it's impossible to keep from grooving when it's on. And even, I dare say, a decent while after. Love it, love it, love it!

No comments: