Wednesday, March 21, 2007

And More Pictures From Lugano

Did I mention that I really like this camera? I managed to get a few more after work. My goal is to have the first page of my blog completely inaccessible for anyone with a slow internet connection. And I think it's going right according to plan.


They were doing construction on the front of this store for ages (it's between my hotel and office). I love the new look... nice in the day, but even better by night.





I KNOW I'm not the only one who finds this amusing.


Cleaning up at the end of the market day.






Here it is again, at night - it makes the whole square glow, which may turn out to be kind of hideous in the long run, but since this is the first time I'm seeing it, I like it.



4 comments:

troyhead said...

what's that really symmetrical one of? the one that looks like a road.

Darryl said...

It's actually the light from a tunnel - a walkway under a road - turned upside-down. After messing with the levels, it kind of felt better as a road to me. A road that glows. You know. Don't fight the muse...

troyhead said...

very cool. i like that you can't really tell what it is, except to describe it as what it looks like... a road. that glows. and has really big white dashes, for extra passing room one could assume. way to play with people's minds by flipping it around.

i want a camera now. what kind did you get?

Darryl said...

Thanks, T-roy. I got a Nikon D40... entry level DSLR and only 6 megapixel, but they have really done a lot on the imaging side, and this is (I've read) miles beyond other Nikons in that range in terms of quality. It's a bit small - not as comfortable to hold as the D80, and some options for things like metering are more limited.

The biggest drawback is that it has no autofocus motor built in, so it can only autofocus with lenses which have a motor in them. This isn't terrible - most recent lenses do - but worth noting. The price is fantastic, though, for what you get, so it's a great entry point to get a very decent but cheap camera and start putting together the lenses you need, which tend to last much longer than the camera body anyways.