Friday, March 30, 2007

Bryan Adams

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma.

I have been enjoying blogging, and I really appreciate my friends who are reading regularly. And I want to tell you all about the show last night. I really do.

On the other hand, if I put everything here, it's going to reduce the impact of my annual concert review (ACR). And I hate to do that.

So I'll give you a bit here, but for the full story, you're going to have to wait. Here are the highlights:

1. This show was a little more ballad-heavy and acoustic than the others I've seen him do. That clearly suited a lot of people who were there, but, honestly, I was in the mood to rock. When I saw him last in Montreux, it was a really amazing, party kind of atmosphere, and I didn't have the same sense this time... fewer people around me were dancing, there was a lot more swaying... it was okay, but not the best I've seen him do. Still, when he rocked, he really rocked.



2. I got some pictures. Crap pictures, as is to be expected with a compact camera in a dark place, but proof, nonetheless, that I was there.



3. They played "Big Bottom" in the music before the show. I think it's the first time I've heard that.

4. The opening band was really, really good. The best opener I've heard since Maroon5, and maybe the best I've ever seen outside of Ted Nugent. ("Are you ready to rock? 'Cause Uncle Ted's got a little something called.... CAT SCRATCH FEVER!"). They were a Swiss band called Lovebugs, which, I think you will agree, may be the worst name ever in the history of music that wasn't proceeded by "the". But they could play, and they could sing... man, can they sing... and their songs were strong. I'm even go as far as to say that, in terms of tempo, they made BA look a bit weak. And that takes some doing.

5. Operation Blonde Canadian was a complete and dismal failure. "Baby, Since You're Gone" was performed by Lisa, a charismatic and apparently not at all shy Swiss-German who could not sing to save her life. A+ for effort, but it was a bit of a let-down. And that's all I have to say about that until the ACR.

6. I made a friend in the bathroom, playing the "hey, you're from Canada - do you know..." game (and I'm proud to say that I scored a direct hit on the first try, simply by the province he's from and the company he works for). I know what you're thinking... "yeah, Darryl, you're always making friends in bathrooms and stuff" but, you'll be surprised to know, that this is the first time this has happened to me, and since it occurred while we were washing, it was not nearly as creepy as I would have expected.

7. He still looks like Olli.

Next up is Lionel Richie (yeah, I know) if I can find the ticket...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are right..he does look like olli, but he IS, bryan adams...sorry man, I've still got that Kevin Costner Robinhood song in my head.

But hey, glad you like Mr. Adams...did it still feel like the first time...?

Darryl said...

Okay, that whole Robin Hood thing is hitting below the belt. Or it would be, if he wasn't still performing it. *wince*

Here's a little tidbit for you: I often call people during concerts to share some of a song with them... usually people who were interested but couldn't make it, or had mentioned something about a song to me. Some seem to like it, some I never hear from (I mean, about that - no one has actually cut off contact with me on those grounds yet), but, anyways, I called John during the Robin Hood song because I just knew he would love it so, so much.