Monday, February 26, 2007

Shopping Lists And Putting On Chains

It's interesting seeing what people buy, and I'm always intrigued to see who's got what in the checkout line. I've had some good combinations before, but I think tonights was not too bad.

2 leeks (large)
2 boxes of Pim's chocolate/raspberry cookies
1 bottle of red wine

Now, I think that while the Pim's and the wine may be pretty predictable (if you haven't had these cookies... well, you need to), but the leeks add a lot. First, as a man buying unprepared vegetables, I think that puts me into a pretty special category to start with. But then, leeks are not like peas or lettuce or something that you just wash or steam and serve. They have a bit of mystery to them, and indicate a bit more intention. I like that.

Also worth noting is that I learned how to put the snow chains on my tires this weekend. We were in the mountains, and while the roads were bare and dry on Friday, there was a pretty reasonable amount of snow that fell Saturday and Sunday before we left.

I have often been sad that, as far as I can tell, a lot of the stereotypical male abilities that reach back generations in my family may well die with my dad (which is hopefully not soon). Neither of my brothers or I show much of an inclination towards being able wire our own homes or rebuild an engine. I can put up drywall, but you probably wouldn't want to live in the room after.

So it made me pretty happy to get the chains figured out. I recall pulling them out one other time and, after a few minutes, deciding to just take my chances with the snow. But this time I was determined, and I like that now I know how to get them on. So, the future of Delamont men is perhaps not all without hope.

More reflections on the weekend to come soon, I promise...

2 comments:

troyhead said...

The way you think about leeks reminds me of when you commented, out of the blue, "I really like my cutlery." I thought you were weird then, and I still do, but now I find myself thinking about how much I like my plates and how our guests will be so impressed with our choice of dinner ware. It's probably a lot more thought than the average guy should have about his dishes... but whatever.

Darryl said...

It works out pretty well, actually: I think my desire to be like the average guy just about matches my capacity for it. And I still think a well-balanced fork is a thing of beauty... glad you're coming around!