Thursday, February 22, 2007

Creator

It's been a while and I'm in the mood, so this is a serious one. If you're not so interested, there are pictures and some light posts not too far down the page, feel free to come back when you're up for it...

When I read in Genesis that God created us his image, there are a couple of things that jump out to me (and, as usual, the things that jump are the things I don't fully understand):

First, God uses the plural. Let us make man in our image. How does that fit in? Is it because creation happened through and for the Son (the Word)? Is there something about how we are made, male and female, that cannot be captured in a single entity - even a divine one? Is there a shared part of "the image" of God the Father, the Son, and the Spirit that's different from the image of any one of them, and that's the image we were to be in? If so, do we seek out more of one of the three to our detriment?

But the bigger question, for me, is what exactly is that image?

For me to do my job well, I need to know what it is I'm supposed to be. It's not going to help if I go in to work ready to put out fires or bake bread. Yeah, there are people who do those things, but that's not what my role is; in a professional sense, that's not who I am.

It's only when I know who I am supposed to be that I can start to understand what I need to do to become that person. Professionally, this may mean getting training, spending time to better understand parts of the business I'm not so familiar with, or giving up some of my activities that, as much as I enjoy them, don't contribute to getting to that core of who I am meant to be. And I am sure that the same is true personally and spiritually - as much as it is up to me (and that's a whole other post), I must know who I am meant to be before I can become that man.

So when God created us in his image, what did that mean? Who is it that we are supposed to be? What's the image we are meant to bear?

I've heard a lot of theories about this... that it means eternal, that it means designed to live in community, that is means capable of loving and being loved. Unless I am missing something, there is not much in the passage to indicate what aspects of God's image are invoked, unless it is related to our ability or authority to rule over the earth.

I honestly believe that it goes much deeper than any single factor, but the one that resonates with me the most is that, in the midst of the greatest act of creation that would ever be, God created us to be creators, too. Made to sing and draw and dance and sculpt and speak and pray... to long to bring something from nothing, order from chaos, beauty from the tin and dirt of everyday life. Made us to understand and sense possibility... not just in what is seen, but in what is not yet visible. I wonder if this is why I see a purity and beauty even in the creation of people who may not know God, why they can mirror someone they have never seen.

It is at our core. Or, at least, it is at my core. I think that my unquenchable desire to create may be the least tarnished part of who I am. As I change and grow and learn and mature, I see other aspects of who I was fall away - and gladly, as I recognize some of it for what it really is. But the more alive I become, spiritually, the more awake in me is the desire to be a creator. It becomes more focused and purposeful, but it shows no sign of abating or being replaced. I wonder if this is, at least in part, what it means to be in God's image.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that our potential for creating must have been a part of God's plan for us. And probably a part of His reasons for creating us too. Have you ever heard a piece of music that moved you to the point of tears? To the point where you said to yourself: "how can this not be above men? how can this not be divine in some way?", still being perfectly aware of the fact that it is a created thing? And in a much more animal/material way, I guess that there is also the idea of our potential for immortality: in our capacity to leave these works and creations behind, to write down words and have them read, and even acted out, years later. It is a part of staying alive in a way. But I guess it is more obvious still in our capacity to have children. Dare I suggest: to continue God's work? It's not a small gift/feat. You should know this better than me Darryl. When Allison was born I can only imagine the sheer joy and love that you must have felt when you held her in your arms and realised how sacred she was and is. It's no small wonder that you should see God in everyone. Imagine how He must see us? A part of His image can mean so many things. I certainly think that there's a potential for what is God-like in each of us, and that it manifests itself when we chose to act lovingly, humbly and compassionately towards each other. What we DO know (thank heaven, there are at least some things He does tell us...) is that God calls us to love our neighbours as ourselves and in doing so He has told us that we would be loving Him. Things remain annoying however because we still don't know to what image of Him (They?) we were created. On the other hand: we also know that we are called to be Christlike. So somewhere in us there must be the potential to become an image of Him of some sort right? I guess it's always easier to try to compare ourselves to the Son than to the Father or to the Holy Spirit. It's difficult for me to think about it from that point of view, sorry. You see... I tend to see our lives here as the journey that will provide us with the trials and opportunities to become the people that God has called us to be, to become Christlike and to be one with/in Him. That's why I speak in terms of potential. Oh well. We won't know until the day we see Him, the day that we are created anew. And we probably wouldn't understand before that either. Maybe only then will we be the true images of God. He does promise us that on that day our eyes will be opened. Have you read the Screwtape Letters? Remember how it ends? I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't, but I'll just say that I am forever grateful to C. S. Lewis for having shared (created?) that beautifull ending with us. One can't help but yearn for that day when we will finally be with our Father again. Not to mention finally understanding!! Not that I don't like living. But I'm dangerously wandering away from the initial subject and I must stop now. This is long enough as it is. Let me know what you think. (=
Caro

Darryl said...

Caro, that's a good point, and one that I'm thinking a lot about. I can't respond adequately right now, other than to say that the circumstances around Allison's birth have tarnished the experience more than a little for me, and have gone a long ways towards turning what should be one of the most beautiful things in the world into something that is, in many ways, hideous. I love my daughter and nothing will change that, of course, but the bigger picture doesn't have much in it that rings of divinity for me.

So, there's the honest response of the day...

troyhead said...

Interesting post, Darryl. One thing I wonder is if I have to worry so much about what image I have been created to help me be the best man I can be. I think that because God already created me in His image. I don't need to try and be it, I already am in His image. In the same way that a squirrel doesn't need to try to figure how to be a squirrel because he already is one, we don't need to try to be in God's image because we already are. Maybe we just need to do what comes naturally. I mean naturally in terms of how we think and feel when we are in tune with God, not the human nature part of us. Or maybe that's what you're trying to figure out -- what part of you is God's image and what part is sinful human nature. Or maybe I've missed the point entirely. =)

I hear you with the "creating" thing. I have heard other songwriters say this, and I think this may have happened to me on occasion: The best stuff we create doesn't seem like anything we can take credit for. It's like a song that was already written that is plucked "from the air". (and I'm not talking plagiarism) Or like Michelangelo saying his great sculptures were already inside the marble -- he just needed to get rid of the extra bits of rock. I wonder why it seems that way sometimes.

Darryl said...

Well, man, here's the thing. I don't know how much of what we see today is what we would have seen at creation. Our world is messed up, and we are messed up. We were created in God's image, but we are not who we were. How much (and what) has changed? I don't know. So that's what leads me to the question... has the part of me created in God's image still unchanged and untarnished, or has it been twisted almost beyond recognition?