Thursday, February 8, 2007

Top Seven U2 Songs

At the last Angry Guys' Night, we did a lot of U2. Mixed in with some bbq'ing, some poker, a few cigars and (of course) the pedicures we went through Rattle & Hum, Zoo TV, and The Singles DVDs. At one point, as "Bad" was playing and I was entering a state of near-ecstasy, Josh commented that it was among his top 7 U2 songs.

Now I don't know about you, but I am used to people saying things like "that's the best beef and kidney pie I've ever eaten" or "that's got to be in the top 10 three-speed bicycles ever made" or things like that, but it is almost always limited to the top thing, in the top 5, top 10, or top 100.

Top 7?

So this one is for you to play along. In the interest of brevity (something dear to my heart, as you know), but to make sure Josh can prove his point, we'll stick to top 7. I'll go first - and for me, I'm considering these as I remember them live, based primarily on how severe the chills are that they send down my spine:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. With Or Without You
3. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4. Bad
5. Pride
6. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
7. Beautiful Day

...with Yahweh being a very close contender. Yeah, it's pretty predictable, but I am all about tradition. Who wants to play?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh... U2 top 7. Difficult. Ok, here goes:

1 Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me
2 Where the streets have no name
3 With or without you
4 I still haven't found what I'm looking for
5 Beautifull day
6 City of blinding lights
7 Elevation (yes I know. I have no shame...)

Cheers! Caro

Darryl said...

Well, it is great for jumping to.

HMTM, KMKM is an interesting choice - didn't think I'd see that on the list. Good tune, though!

Anonymous said...

my list started at 15, and it was hard to get it down to even that. in no particular order:

- ground beneath her feet
- walk on
- where the streets have no name
- ultra violet (light my way)
- new year's day
- so cruel
- stay (faraway so close!)

so many other good ones though. hmtmkmkm was almost on my list.

favorite U2 video: even better than the real thing.

Darryl said...

Oh yeah, videos! That's going to have to be another post... lol. I'm right there with you on ultra violet.

"baby, baby, baby, light my way"

How can you not love that?!?

Anonymous said...

So Cruel began my love for tremolo. I was watching the VHS "Achtung Baby - the videos, the cameos, and a whole lot of interference". While the Edge was talking, this amazing sounding guitar was playing in the background, which turned out to be So Cruel.

And as a bass player, how can New Year's Day not be in my top 7? =)

I'm not sure why I like Stay so much. I just do.

Heather said...

Okay, I've definitely got an opinion on this one. Here's THE definitive top 7 U2 songs of all time:

1. With or Without You
2. Mysterious Ways
3. Running to Stand Still
4. All I Want is You
5. Where the Streets Have No Name
6. God, Pt 2
7. I Will Follow

Darryl said...

Here's where my poor memory kills me, Heather. I do well with songs that have a title ripped mercilessly from a line in the chorus... preferably one that is repeated over and over. I'm going to step out on a limb and say that's the Lennon one?

Ooooohhhhh, All I Want Is You is great, too. Is that off the Joshua Tree? They did a ton of songs from that one on the last tour... I was in heaven.

And Troy... yeah, man, we're on the same page with the tremolo thing. Love it, love it, love it. Someday, Everyone.

Darryl said...

I think covers are fair game - it's your set list. Mysterious ways was a really tough one for me to get past, too. That big, crunchy wah that leads it in... how can you not move when that starts?

Oh, man. I hope they tour again in 2008...