Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Questions And Answers

So following an interesting discussion with John and some reflecting at the retreat on the weekend, I have been wondering a lot about whether I am looking for questions or for answers. Or, stated in other words with tongue firmly in cheek, exactly how post-modern am I?

If you know me, you know that I love questions. I love to consider them, I love to ask them and explore them with other people, and I think that, more than just giving an answer, they can be a very effective tool in leading people to truth and to a greater understanding of what matters. I don't shy away from asking, or answering, tough questions.

At the same time, I don't believe that it's all in the journey, that what matters is only that you are asking the questions, or that the answers are less important. But it has really got me thinking: what is the relative value of a question and an answer?

It was Aristotle who said in his Nicomachean Ethics that, when we discuss any given subject, we would do well to treat it with as much precision as it demands: to expect more is an exercise in futility, and to accept less is foolish. So on a grand scale, here is how I think of it:

The first case is that of an answer without a question. Not that there is no question behind it in principle, but the person receiving the answer has not asked the question that demands it.

I think this can be of some value, especially with children. I don't wait for my daughter to be able to understand everything I explain to her. I teach her about art, about physics, about math and language, and about faith, knowing that much of what she hears will mean nothing to her now... the present value is almost nothing. But there will come a point where she will start to consider these things, and then she will have this storehouse of knowledge available to her. One of my favorite authors, Robertson Davies has written about this in reference to poetry... that teaching children poems they can't understand gives them a store of beauty, mystery, and insight that they will be able to draw upon later, and I agree. In fact, sometimes, without starting with an answer, those questions may never come.

I'm not so sure, though, how closely this parallels the intellectual journey that we are on as adults. If someone is not concerned with the question, how much value is there in giving them the answer? Some, I think, but it is limited. We don't care about what doesn't cost us anything, and without the cost of struggling with an issue, I don't think that having the answer will have a great impact on most people.

Does this mean that we shouldn't bother with answers for people who aren't asking? No, I don't think so. But it does mean that we need to include the questions with the answers, to allow people to consider, think, and explore after the fact, if not before. We don't need to be spoon-fed; we need to be molded, and this cannot come without the conflict that questions bring.

The second case is a question which cannot be answered, or (at least) to which the answer cannot be assured. In my view, this won't be because there is no truth or answer, but may well be because it is not possible for us to know or understand it.

With these questions, if the value is truly in the answer, then we are perhaps better not to even ask the questions - and this is clearly the line some people feel most comfortable taking. "We can't know that" or "People have discussed this for centuries and not had an answer - what do you expect to be different when we talk about it?". They would prefer not to explore what seems unlikely to have a solid outcome.

But I think that there is still value - a lot of value - in exploring these questions, for a number of reasons.

1. Any question that has been answered has, at one time, been a question without an answer. Who is to say that what has not been understood in the past can't be understood now?
2. We get stronger by doing things our body is not capable of doing comfortably. We gain wisdom and an ability to reason by thinking about things which are brains cannot easily contain or comprehend.
3. The exploration of "unsolvable" problems may well lead us to other issues that do have a possible resolution, and without starting on the journey we have no way to know what is down the path. What we do know, though, is that if we are static (spiritually, intellectually, or emotionally) we will discover nothing.
4. These questions force us to acknowledge mystery and uncertainty. For many years, I longed for a black-and-white life. Actions were right or wrong. Theology was sound or heretical. Music was good or crap. Well, I still hold that to be the truth on the music front, but I have learned to see and appreciate and even love mystery in faith. It gives me a more accurate understanding of who God is, relative to who I am, and that is a sobering but healthy thing. That's also the topic of a whole other post...

In the final view, the value of a question without an answer is limited. It may provide an avenue of stimulation, but what I want is not just to get my neurons firing: I want my life to be dynamic, to be transformed and renewed, and without answers I may know that there is a direction that I need to take, but not which one it is. So the time and effort I will devote to these questions is limited.

The third case is a question which can be answered.

For me, this is where the magic happens. When someone is intent on honestly seeking out an answer for a question - regardless of how that answer fits in with their initial ideas - there is an opportunity for growth and maturity and change that takes my breath away. This is what lights me up, when I can explore it on my own or join with others in it. Why is it so special?

First, it starts with a willingness to explore. When we come to an issue with humility and a hunger for truth, we can leave behind our own road maps and truly be ready for change. The stance that I live my life in is "I know, but I might be wrong". I am ready to act, ready to commit to what I believe, but also ready to give it up as I see that I have been mistaken. And this somewhat contradictory position gives me the opportunity to really examine my own beliefs and understanding in a much greater way than either assuming that I have the final word and that it will not change, or that I know nothing and may as well not try to reach any kind of real decision. The willingness to be wrong in search of what is right is powerful, and is a vulnerability that leads not to weakness, but to strength.

Second, it leads us to truth. When we seek , we will find. But without seeking with our whole heart, we will not know the truth. In terms of spiritual truth, without study, and contemplation, and meditation, and prayer, and consultation with wise people, we have no likelihood of ever getting to truth. The reason I am willing to ask the questions are not just because I want to change what I think or understand. It is because I want to know the truth, regardless of where that leads me.

Finally, it gives us grounds for action. Our ideas, and our faith, are proven as they are tested. If we hold them in a vacuum, unexamined and unchallenged, they will never be strong enough to compel us to act on them when circumstances dictate that we should act otherwise. Challenging each other is a first step to being certain of what we believe, of turning knowledge into faith - we do not act on knowledge, but we cannot help but act on real faith. I would rather never enter a search for truth from the "right" position than give up coming away with the truth. The confidence that comes from being shown to be wrong but turning to what is right is far more valuable than the frail ego boost of claiming the knowledge of the truth without being willing to test it.

So let's ask each other questions which need to be asked. Let's seek out the answers, without fear of where those answers may lead us, or where they may be found. But most of all, let's be ready to act, to live, and to be be conformed to the truth we find.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, my head hurts now!

totally in a good way, but still... I should not read your posts when I'm running on 3 hours of sleep...

Darryl said...

Lol... can I put in a vote? I would say keep on reading but up the sleep - ideally during work. I hope this means you'll come back with a little more once the sleep thing is taken care of... I'd like to hear your thoughts.

troyhead said...

Answer with no Question

I have to give an answer to an over-zealous computer user who fried his computer the other day. He's not going to ask what he can do differently to prevent this, but I need to tell him. After I read your post, I thought maybe I should lead him with questions. But I don't think that will be appropriate. Sometimes if I am having an arguement with someone and I ask questions so that they can answer them (and thus build my case), it comes off as patronizing. Correct me if I'm wrong (because I have to talk to this guy in a couple of days) but I think an answer to an unasked question will be of great value, but asking him questions about what lead to the situation may belittle him.


Question with no Answer

How many times have we heard people in the church find these questions of no value? I think these are people who believe something based on this question, but don't know how to defend their faith. I'm all about tearing down "Christianisms" (things Christians believe without question, but may or may not be based on Biblical truth) and figuring out why we believe something, if we should believe something, or how it would change our behaviour if the answer could be something different than what we think it is.

When these quesions have no value is when people start asking "unanswerable" questions where the answer doesn't make any difference. We could potentially argue until we are both blue in the face, but if we had an answer we would gain no further insight into anything. I put these quesions in the class of "Could God microwave a burrito so hot that even he could not eat it?"


To summarize...

It is interesting that your analysis finds that an answer on its own has some limited value, a question on its own also has some limited value, but when you put the two together you have something that is much more than the sum of its parts. I think God likes math and philosophy and likes to mix 'em together with unpredictable results! Just when we think 1+2=3, God's math makes 1+2=12. It's like when you mix brownies and ice cream together, you make something magical!

And now I'm hungry for some desert.

Darryl said...

Yeah, Troy - you're dead on in the fact that just asking questions is not the way to go. And I think you hit it with the fact that when you are asking questions to build your case, it is patronizing. But what I want when I'm asking someone questions is not really to get them to my perspective, but to get them to explore. And when we look together, I'm not sure that my view is the one we'll end up at, at all.

And, of course, it depends who you're talking to... if buddy doesn't care why his computer did what it did and just wants to make it work again, you're just going to piss him off. And if he isn't in the place to understand the issue... again, it's not going to make much of difference to him.

This supposes, though, that I am asking questions to which I know the answers. And I'll sometimes do this, but many times the questions I ask are ones that I don't know the answer to. I don't ask them to lead someone - I ask them to explore with someone.

And unanswerable was the direction I was going - I'm going to skip the examples in the interest of space.

I hadn't thought of brownies and ice cream, but I like it. And you're making me hungry, too!

troyhead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
troyhead said...

I like questions that explore too, even the unanswerable ones (just not the pointless unanswerable ones). Maybe I need to stop asking the questions I think I already know the answers to.

You're absolutely right about asking questions to end up somewhere that may not align with your own point of view. I like finding solutions to problems, and I'm pretty sure I don't hold all the solutions. But I'd like to think of myself as someone who can help us get to a solution. And questions are probably the best way to get there.

That's actually one of the few things I took from our MOHR classes... the simple concept of turning conflict from "me vs. you" to "us vs. the problem". Other than that, those classes were a complete waste of time. Well, there was a project where our team got to smash computers and light them on fire... that was fun, but a complete waste of time too, I guess.

Maybe I'll tell this guy what I'm thinking, but then ask both of us how we can make the technology work better for him. (he's a power user who always has problems -- a time vortex for me -- so we need to figure something out to keep him happy and productive)

Darryl said...

*quote*Maybe I need to stop asking the questions I think I already know the answers to.*/quote*

Or, if I can say in all sincerity, maybe you need to stop thinking you already know the answers to the questions you're asking.

It's a fine line between being open enough to admit error where you've made it and change to embrace the truth, and being confident in what you do know, to the extent that you know it, so that you can act and live in it. In the end, what matters is not what we have thought: it is who we are and what we have done.