Thursday, April 5, 2007

Prayer, Part II

Well, contrary to (or maybe in part due to) my concern, the discussion on prayer that we had on Tuesday night went well.

I have come to really deeply appreciate the fact that I have a community, a group of friends who are ready and willing to look at difficult and important issues together, who are able to grapple with uncertainty, to be open to new ideas and to care for each other even though our views sometimes differ. I think that sometimes I take it for granted, but it was a really beautiful experience for me to realize that as I sat there with you and talked about something that is very important to me, I did it in the light of your acceptance and love and desire to explore it with me. I love that, and the freedom that comes with it is amazing.

For those who weren't there (maybe not even on the same continent - no hard feelings), you can download the notes here. In addition, I have a simple excel sheet that you can use to track things that you want to pray for regularly (daily or weekly) as well as specific items that you want to pray for until they are resolved. You can get that here.

There is more to come - I promised to provide some more details on the premise that God has chosen to limit his work on earth to what can be done through active or passive human complicity. I haven't had the time to put it all together yet, and though we may disagree about the wording, if we can agree simply that God's usual way of working is in cooperation with mankind it is enough to move forward.

In the meantime, whether you were part of the original discussion or not, I want to encourage you to leave your thoughts and comments. Let's explore this together.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Darryl said...

Yeah, Christine - I was reading something along those lines this morning. A rabbi was explaining to his students that the outworkings of prayer are often appear to be very accidental.

"Then why pray?" asked a student. He replied, "To become more accident-prone."

You're right... if we don't ask, we don't tend to get answers. But if we don't develop that relationship and our spiritual sensitivity, we are often unable to really even see the answers that are there. The act of putting ourselves - our letting ourselves be put - into the right position is at the heart of what we are doing in prayer.

Sleep well!

Anonymous said...

Darryl I don't have a pertinent comment, just wanted to say hi! I will email you someday and fill you in on my life. Hope all is well!

Darryl said...

Lauren, great to hear from you. I'm still counting on you to be able to get me Dior at cost! In any case, I'm glad you found this... enjoy, and write when you have the chance.