Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I Forgot, Part II

Well, at least I remembered my mp3 player. But I forgot my toiletries bag. So, in the interest of keeping my job and perhaps my friends, at lunch I wandered off in search of a toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant. I found them. I bought:

1 OralB Cross-Action toothbrush (brand new, never used)
1 tube of Crest toothpaste (which fights cavities on teeth AND roots. Finally!)
1. stick of Borotalco deodorant. Catchy name, eh? Another fine example of Swiss marketing savvy.

And for this, I paid 32 CHF. That's about $30 CDN, or $26 USD.

Now I've lived in Switzerland for long enough to have learned how to deal with obscene prices. But this is crazy. I better smell really, really good after this. And not get cavities in my roots.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if you want a toothbrush that's never been used, you had better be ready to pay the big bucks.

Darryl said...

I always have the same problem - my standards are just too high! Will I never learn?!?

Anonymous said...

How much would a used one cost I wonder?

Darryl said...

Well, you can get a used on on eBay for $5.99, then shipping to Switzerland is another $78, so it just doesn't pan out as well as you would expect.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Braun-Oral-B-Electric-toothbrush-Used_W0QQitemZ300098509678QQihZ020QQcategoryZ40082QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Anonymous said...

You know, I'm stuck here in Ohio missing Geneva a little more every day -- but every now and then someone or something reminds me of the things I don't miss, and I feel better for a little while.

Thanks Darryl!

Darryl said...

Lol... happy to help however I can, Anna. Nice to hear from you - I hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

I definitely didn't ask that question about a used toothbrush... yuuuuuuuck...

I suppose I could take orders for cheap North American toiletries before my visit... some kinda care package for the expats living in hard-up Switzerland!

Guess what. I've had so much fun enjoying your blog that I started hounding my friend who administers my website/blog... and we are moving closer to getting that thing to be honestly functional and fun...

Darryl said...

That's cool - it's a pretty fun thing. You can check with Josh about the software he uses (the link is on the right) if you get stuck.