Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Carrier

I have a carrier that I have used with the little chick since she was born - I strap her to my chest, and that way we can talk, she can see what I see, I can sing to her as we walk, and she can swing her legs and hold my hands. We both like it a lot.

But it has taken on a little bit of a different feel for me today.

On the way home from church I saw a woman with the same carrier. But she wasn't carrying a baby.

She was carrying a cat.

Now, to be fair, I'm not a cat guy. I'm not a pet guy at all, really... I guess I have all the companionship that I want from my friends and my family, and I don't need anything around that is going to is going to expect me to feed it and make my place dirty - the little chick and I do quite well on that front between the two of us. And yes, I can hear you cat people already... "but cats are very clean animals, blah, blah, blah". They get clean by licking themselves. Have you ever actually tried this? It may do the trick for a couple of days, but I have to tell you - after a week, everyone around you is going to be begging you to go back to the shower method. They leave hair where I don't want it. They walk on counters and tables. So, yeah, they're clean, compared to a horse or something (and you horse people can just keep it to yourselves... honestly!), but they're not really clean.

And you can also say what you want about them being independent and intelligent and whatever else, but I'm not buying it. I've been around cats. They never say anything funny. They never introduce me to a new band. They don't bring me snacks. They don't even show any kind of appreciation when I make some kind of effort and try to engage them in any kind of discussion. I'm not saying they're useless, but I would say that they are most useful when combined with teriyaki sauce and a deep-fryer.

And, while I'm on it, dogs are only marginally better. They're a little more interactive, I think, though in most cases "interaction" means jumping up on me, licking/sniffing me in places I'm not particularly interested in sharing, and acting as though I'm threatening their life with my very presence. Maybe they're worse, in fact, since cat people can at least leave their cats at home and pretend to be like normal people for an evening. Dog people? You invite them for dinner and they ask if they can bring the dog. Why in the world would you want a dog to come over for dinner? Have you ever seen a dog eat? Why would I want more of that? "Only if you promise that he'll spend at least half of the meal licking his crotch," I used to say. The only problem is, I have yet to have a dog owner pick up on the (subtle) sarcasm, and in every case but one they replied, "oh, no problem!". The other one wasn't sure and turned down the invitation.

In any case, if you speak about yourself as "mommy" in reference to your animal, show me a portrait with a pet in it, or tell me that Foo-foo is part of the family, laughter is about the best response you can hope to get from me.

So when I saw the woman with the cat strapped to her in a carrier, I naturally asked myself a few questions:
  1. Was she perhaps drunk?
  2. How surprised was she going to be when she got to where she was going and realized that she had left the baby at home with a saucer of chicken and liver meow mix?
  3. Was the cat actually no longer alive? This one disturbed me so much that I only thought about it for 15 minutes before forcing myself to move on.
  4. Where was she going that it would be useful to have a cat unable of propelling itself? Maybe a bbq?
I didn't get a picture. I had my camera there, but, in my experience, no one has less of a sense of humor than a pet-person who feels that their loyalty, values, and freedom to pursue their chosen lifestyle is being called into question. And I've tried the whole "we're not here to judge" thing, but, honestly, I just can't pull it off. As a matter of fact, I have already changed apartments and anticipate that I will get several death threats (3 from people I know, 2 from strangers is my best estimate) just for writing this post. But really!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe. I can't help but smile Darryl. I quite understand. Though I can't help but notice that you seem to have missed something: they're animals. Period. You can't expect anything other than raw animal behaviour. Sure, some can be trained pretty well, but still... I quite like pets myself but prefer them in other people's homes (= Oh, and for the sake of the integrity of the band, please don't mention this in front of Helen. She's not about to use a carrier with Tabby. Though it would be funny -smirk-

Darryl said...

Trust me, I wasn't planning on printing out a copy for Helen. The good news is, at least, is that it wasn't her...

Anonymous said...

I know you wouldn't (= And I'm relieved that it wasn't her. Though you should hear her talk to Tabby! It's an intersting side that comes out. And in case you're wondering she does not refer to herself as "mommy" thank goodness. But her pitch does go up a bit... Is it an instinctive reaction to just speak in a squeek to life forms smaller than ourselves I wonder?

Anonymous said...

Okay, I must admit, I hate it when people use the term "lol," mostly because I know that 98% of the time, they really aren't laughing out loud. Now, that being said...

LOL!

Darryl said...

As someone who frequently uses that when I write and post, I'm moderately offended. As the guy who wrote the post that made you laugh, I'm very happy. I guess happy trumps offended this time, but you're on probation, mister! ;-)

troyhead said...

Darryl, you and I are of like minds, except that the BBQ may be too good for the cat (it should be reserved for the likes of cows and chickens). The only pet I have ever had is Edgar the fish, and despite my best efforts, he refuses to die on his own. I don't really want to flush him down the toilet, as he was a gift, but I may be forced to soon.

It bothers me when people treat their animals like people. As pointed out already in these comments -- they're animals. I really don't think they belong inside. Maybe if they could build their own shelter, that would be acceptable. But to have them living where you live (and on everything you live) seems gross. [I was going to get graphic here, but decided it was best to leave that out]

I think building relationships with other humans is more beneficial than investing time in animals. Not that pets can't have some positive effect, but many pet owners let that positive effect overshadow the other aspects of their lives. I remember "the other Double-D" lived with a crazy cat lady. Those animals literally took over her life and alienated her from real people.

Everyone hates me now, don't they. Meh.

Darryl said...

I'll never hate you. Unless you hide my cowbell.